11.07.2010

Skate or Die!

There were a few skateboards that I bought multiple copies of: each to replace one I had previously broken. One of those decks is the Dogtown Eric Dressen model. While my first skateboard was a Vision Mark Gonzales (and I rode seven of them), the Dressen was my favorite. I rode 9 different Dressen models.

I started skating in 1984, while the industry was still fledgling and largely d.i.y. Doing tricks off of launch ramps was popular then, and ultimately resulted in most of the breakage that warranted a deck replacement. I should also admit that several decks were shattered during adolescent fits of rage. Paint pens, possibly a top 100 amongst greatest twentieth century inventions, personalized the decks with design and text.

Here is another example of American junk culture: skateboarding. When 24th century anthropologists look back at 20th century american culture, do they lump it all together into one largely consumer culture? Or, do they seperate us into sects, where consumer interests define our groups? There is no doubt that skateboarding and music defined much of my person, as well as who I dated and who I hung around with.